Friday, March 17, 2006

Commonwealth Games II

I suppose I could carry on posting about this event until it finishes. I may do just that, I am sure I won't be alone if I so choose. I discovered today that Melbourne was the only city to bid for the games, which makes the honour of hosting them somewhat dubious. Interesting also that the ruling monarch, Queen Elizabeth the second chose to leave the country as soon as her formal duties were complete. Equally as interesting is that the representative of the US Royal family, Dr. Condoleeza Rice, is sticking around to watch something in which (gasp) her own country are not even participating!

The exclusion from competition of two thirds of the world's population on the basis that they were not invaded by the same monarchy at some point in their history seems to make the outcome of competition somewhat meaningless in itself. Are they the best athletes in the world? Some of them, but we're not going to be able to judge that from the results of any events here over the next week or so.

Another thing which has been bothering me is the sheer cost of the circus. The opening ceremony alone cost $50 million Australian. If, as I have heard, it is true that homeless people in the city are being housed for the duration of the event at the expense of the taxpayer, this figure could surely have provided permanent accomodation for them in perpetuity.

Best not to think too hard about it. It is a Friday afternoon, and the byproducts of Saccharomyces cerevisiae metabolism are calling me from my local watering hole.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

well... you make some valid comments and others you are very wide of the proverbial mark.

What worries me is your total lack of patriotism, however I agree, just how much are you, me and Joe Average being taxed to fund this escapade???

March 23, 2006 3:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment doubles your comments for the month.

March 30, 2006 9:47 PM  
Blogger The Last Scientician said...

Sadly, Google sad Blog Comment Bot, you are correct, and indeed it is a contributing factor in the lack of posting since.

Rudders, pray tell, which parts do you agree with, and which parts are wide of the mark, might i be so bold as to enquire, should you indeed ever return to read my reply?

I love this country. I don't need to wave a flag in a packed stadium in support of some over trained bodylover to prove it.

April 06, 2006 12:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home